The Engage Programme will improve government communications by ensuring they are research and data driven, better targeted, demonstrate greater impact and improve value for money.
Why Engage is needed
We have the opportunity to significantly improve the targeting, effectiveness and cost of our campaigns by addressing the issues currently faced by the communications community. These include:
- Lack of a corporate memory: we need to transfer lessons learned from one campaign to another in order to improve future outcomes
- The need to improve insight sharing and coordinate activity around shared target audiences across government
- The lack of common metrics and standards to compare the effectiveness of campaigns, including digital
- The need to harness the combined power of data generated from advertising spend and organisational listening
- Advertising industry issues such as fraud, lack of transparency and the placement of government material on inappropriate websites.
What Engage will achieve
Four new products:
- A Research Hub providing a searchable corporate memory and a community hub for the sharing of lessons and insight across campaigns.
- Campaign Optimisation Tool and Dashboards will measure the effectiveness of campaigns and drive greater value for money in advertising spend.
- A cloud-based platform or Data Lake will provide greater transparency across spending at the centre, and allow departments to model and inform their planning.
- An interactive online mapping platform or Mapping Tool will provide localised insight to help campaign and other communications planning. You can learn more through the Mapping Tool video.
When will Engage happen?
The programme started in August 2017 and runs through to July 2018. Ongoing product development and improvement utilising user testing and feedback will take place between November and July 2018, alongside user upskilling to ensure readiness for roll out.