Courses and events
Boost your communication skills and knowledge with our free courses and learning resources, as part of our curriculum.
Topics include for example external affairs, internal communications, digital communication, marketing, media, strategic communications and leadership.
On this page:
Calendar of training and courses
Feedback on live training
“Communicating statistics and data”
Really good dynamic between two presenters, clear slides, good use of slido. One of the best sessions I’ve been on in 2022
“Creating a communications approach for a new senior leader”
All speakers were great and really engaging. One of the most useful training sessions I have been on and some great takeaways.
“Part 1 Use insight from today to change what you do tomorrow”
It was all really useful. So great to see actual concrete examples from a government account. I really appreciate the time the presenters took to answer our questions and to put together such a brilliant and useful presentation.
To book your course or access our content, you need to:
- be a government communicator, part of the Government Communication Service (GCS)
- ask the development adviser in your department for the GCS password or contact us to know their details: firstname.lastname@example.org (it is the same password to book events and to watch webinars)
- You will get Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points per learning.
New on-demand learning
Newest learning resources:
- Building advocacy to get great communications outcomes (GCS members access)
- Understanding audiences: getting the best out of ourselves and others (GCS members access)
- Time management: the Pomodoro technique (GCS members access)
Learn and develop
The majority of our courses are delivered by internal trainers from across departments and organisations. Use your learning pathway with our curriculum then record your activities in your personal development plan (PDP). Choose from:
Other learning opportunities
Civil Service Learning
The Civil Service Learning website offers learning and development that supports you to provide excellent public services.
Whether you are presenting at internal meetings, briefings and public events to large or small groups of people, the techniques in this course will enable you to get your message across more effectively and confidently.
Good writing is essential for delivering public services, developing policy and improving your personal effectiveness.
Civil Service Live Replay (available until February 2023)
Six events took place in June and July spanning five locations across the UK. To access the replay:
- If you did not register for Civil Service Live: sign up here to access Civil Service Live Replay.
- If you did register for Civil Service Live: see the email in your inbox from email@example.com with your personal access PIN for immediate access. If you haven’t received the email yet, you will receive it shortly.