The 2021 Internship programme is now closed.
The Government Communication Service (GCS) internship offers a unique opportunity to develop your skills and the chance to work across a wide range of communications disciplines, delivering cutting edge work for the UK government.
6 to 12 weeks paid internship
We offer a 6 to 12 week paid internship within either a government department or public body. This will give you experience in what it’s like to be a government communicator in the Civil Service.
The internship includes an induction into the Government Communication Service, to find out what we do, and some of the communications frameworks and tools you might need in your role. You will get access to training sessions, a careers workshop and a diverse network of comms professionals to help you consider your next steps in your career.
We are looking for capable, curious and motivated students interested in a career in government communications. You will work across a wide range of communications disciplines and help deliver cutting edge work for the UK government.
You could work in:
- external affairs
- internal communications
- strategic communications
You will contribute to exciting new ideas and real issues that affect real people. You could find yourself:
- creating innovative content for social media
- conducting research and analysing audience insight
- assisting with the creation and implementation of campaigns
- organising events across the UK
- providing project support or
- working on a major staff engagement programme
Applications for the 2021 GCS Internship Programme are open and will close at 11:55pm on 8 March 2021.
Key information on the Internship:
- duration: 6 to 12 weeks
- salary: £350 per week
- location: London, with some placement opportunities available in regional locations
- remote working will be supported and reviewed based on government guidelines
- recruitment process: online tests, application form, statement of suitability and telephone interview
To apply, candidates must:
- be in their final 2 years at university or a 2020 graduate – in a communications-related degree (awarded or expected) or
- be working towards a communications-related degree equivalent qualification (NVQ level 6)
- meet the nationality requirement and the right to work in the UK requirement: Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non-EEA nationals.
- you must be a British citizen to work in some placements, and additional clearance checks may be required depending on your placement. Please note your placement and start date is dependent upon the completion of security clearance.
Candidates must also be from one or more of the following backgrounds:
- Black, Asian and minority ethnic
- socially or economically disadvantaged
- care leaver background
- candidates who consider themselves to have a disability
Apply for 2021 – now closed
For any queries about how to apply and the application process contact: GCSProfession.email@example.com