The Government Communication Service (GCS) internship offers a unique opportunity to develop your skills and the chance to work across a wide range of communications disciplines, delivering cutting-edge work for the UK government.
We are committed to ensuring GCS is a destination of choice for communications professionals. As part of the GCS strategy commitments we are currently reviewing all our talent programmes to enable us to develop a talent attraction strategy that highlights the unique opportunities available in the GCS. Due to this, recruitment for this programme has been paused.
On this page:
6 to 12 weeks paid internship
We offer a 6 to 12 week paid internship within either a government department or public body. This will give you experience in what it’s like to be a government communicator in the Civil Service.
The internship includes an induction into the Government Communication Service, to find out what we do, and some of the communications frameworks and tools you might need in your role. You will get access to training sessions, a careers workshop and a diverse network of comms professionals to help you consider your next steps in your career.
We are looking for capable, curious and motivated students interested in a career in government communications. You will work across a wide range of communications disciplines and help deliver cutting edge work for the UK government.
You could work in:
- external affairs
- internal communications
- strategic communications
You will contribute to exciting new ideas and real issues that affect real people. You could find yourself:
- creating innovative content for social media
- conducting research and analysing audience insight
- assisting with the creation and implementation of campaigns
- organising events across the UK
- providing project support or
- working on a major staff engagement programme
Key information on the Internship:
- duration: 6 to 12 weeks over summer
- salary: £350 per week for candidates up to 22-years-old. Candidates who are over 22-years-old will be paid in line with the National Living Wage
- location: London, with some placement opportunities available in regional locations
- remote working will be supported and reviewed based on government guidelines
- recruitment process: online tests, application form, statement of suitability and interview
- start date will only be agreed once security clearance has been completed.
To apply, candidates must:
- be in their final 2 years at university or a 2022 graduate – in a communications-related degree (awarded or expected) or
- be working towards a communications-related degree equivalent qualification (NVQ level 6)
- meet the nationality requirement and the right to work in the UK requirement: Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non-EEA nationals.
- you must be a British citizen to work in some placements, and additional clearance checks may be required depending on your placement. Please note your placement and start date is dependent upon the completion of security clearance.
Read our internship application guidance.
Candidates must also be from one or more of the following backgrounds:
- Black, Asian and minority ethnic
- socially or economically disadvantaged
- care leaver background
- candidates who consider themselves to have a disability.
Apply for the GCS Internship 2022. Applications close on Tuesday 1 March at 11:55 pm.
For any queries about how to apply and the application process contact: GCSProfession.firstname.lastname@example.org