Suggested reading by grade
Civil servants working in communication are expected to be up to date with learning.
We recommend you review your learning on an annual basis, with your Professional Development Plan.
These courses and guides together provide a sound base for understanding the role and expectations of government communications in practice.
Explore the below suggested reading for your grade. Access on-demand webinars, live courses, podcasts, guidance and reading lists to help build your personal development plan.
The resources are categorised by discipline and grade.
For all government communicators
- Behaviour change
- Digital accessibility: best-practice essentials
- Evaluation Framework
- Propriety Guidance
- Guide to campaign planning: OASIS
- Modern Communications Operating Model (MCOM)
- Style guide
- UK Government Communication plan
All civil servants also benefit from and have access to training through Civil Service Learning.
Executive Officer (EO)
- EO external affairs
- EO internal communication
- EO leadership
- EO marketing
- EO media
- EO strategic communication
Higher Executive Officer (HEO)
- Higher Executive Officer (HEO) curriculum
- HEO external affairs
- HEO internal communications
- HEO leadership
- HEO marketing
- HEO media
- HEO strategic communication
What you need to do next
1. Get familiar with the different learning resources for your grade
Select what you think is most relevant to your role and development needs. The links under ‘In this section’ will take you to the resources for your discipline.
2. Check the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points for each learning activity
Remember learning from curriculum content is only part of your learning and development (L&D). Most of your learning should be ‘on the job’ with the rest coming from relationships (for example, a mentor) or formal training.
The CPD points are clearly labelled at the top of each page.
3. Fill in your PDP
Discuss your PDP with your line manager and review what you are learning with them on a regular basis.
Download and fill in your PDP (Word, 1 page, 35KB)
Stay up to date
New courses are regularly added to the GCS Academy. Stay up to date with all the free learning available by signing up to the GCS newsletters, as well as news and views from the GCS community plus ways to get involved.