Civil servants working in communication are expected to be up to date with mandatory learning.
We recommend you review this mandatory learning on an annual basis, with your Professional Development Plan.
These courses and guides together provide a sound base for understanding the role and expectations of government communications in practice.
Your feedback matters
For all government communicators
- Behaviour change
- Digital accessibility: best practice essentials
- Evaluation Framework
- GCS Propriety Guidance
- Guide to campaign planning: OASIS
- Introduction to Government Communications, with Alex Aiken (GCS members access)
- Introduction to the Functional Standard, the bedrock of communication
- Modern Communications Operating Model (MCOM)
- Style guide
- UK Government Communication plan
In addition to the above, all Government Communication Service (GCS) colleagues are expected to use the GCS Curriculum to plan their own professional development using a Professional Development Plan.
All civil servants also benefit from and have access to training through Civil Service Learning.
Stay up to date
New courses are regularly added to the GCS Academy. Stay up to date with all the free learning available by signing up to the GCS newsletters, as well as news and views from the GCS community plus ways to get involved.