Department for Transport win December’s campaign of the month
Friday 15 December 2017
Congratulations to DfT who have won December's competition for their 'Care, control, commitment' campaign.
Monarch went into administration on Monday 2 October at 4am with 110,000 passengers abroad and many passengers with future bookings.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) carried out UK’s biggest peacetime repatriation using 60 aircraft from 27 airlines to facilitate the operation. It conducted almost 570 flights over two weeks involving 40 airports, flying 85,000 people back from 15+ countries.
DfT and CAA led the cross-government communications effort across ten government departments, defining clear roles and responsibilities and an hour-by-hour campaign plan, aiming to show:
- Care and concern – for passengers stranded abroad; those who lost their holidays; those who
lost their jobs.
- Control – showing Government have control of the situation, with good contingency plans and are
calmly putting them into effect.
- Commitment – to learning the lessons from this failure for the future.
As a result the outcomes were:
- 150 interviews over the first couple of days, with the first broadcast interview within 15 minutes.
- 20 online media publications used DfT content with 39 million opportunities to see.
- Positive response from passengers tweeting and thanking DfT / CAA.
- 2.1 million visits to the microsite, 8 million page views and 60,000+ customer calls handled.
- 851,921 opportunities to view content and 2,629 clicks
- 3.2m opportunities to view Facebook posts, performing 1.25x better than government averages.
- Which? and Money Saving Expert communicated advice to affected passengers.
- Easyjet and Virgin promoted positive stories, such as low cost fares on affected routes and fast track recruitment
- Train operating companies advised passengers about not travelling to affected airports.
The team behind the campaign are:
CAA Communications team
DfT Communications Directorate
The next submission deadline for Campaign of the Month is Friday 26 January 2018.