GCS Diversity and Inclusion: our vision
Monday 24 July 2017
Our vision is that the GCS becomes a leading employer and champion for reflecting modern Britain in all its diversity in public services and the Civil Service and across the marketing, PR and communications sector.
“This is about sustaining activities that make a difference through building on what we’ve achieved so far; embedding it, growing it and making a difference.”
Michelle Cupples, Deputy Director, GCS
This GCS diversity and inclusion strategy supports the wider Civil Service ambitions for a more
diverse Civil Service and focuses on recruitment, talent and leadership.
Our key objectives by the end of 2020:
- To improve senior civil service diversity to ensure that our Senior Civil Servants (SCS) are
representative of the society we serve.
- To improve BAME and women representation at all grades.
- To attract and retain GCS early talent from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
We will do this by:
- Fostering a culture of inclusion – incorporating flexible working, nurturing personal leadership
styles and learning from others through shared networks across across all regions of the UK.
- Growing our diverse talent – addressing diversity and inclusion in our talent pipelines by offering a
wider range of development.
- Building home-grown, diverse senior talent through greater support to reach our top leadership positions, in particular representation of women at Director of Communications level.
- Recruiting inclusively – improving the future diversity of our profession by growing the number
of apprentices and improving our recruitment practices.
Read the GCS Diversity Strategy.