GCS Campaign of the Month winner July 2021
Congratulations to the Department for Transport’s (DfT) team for winning the GCS Campaign of the Month award for their “Reforming the Rail Industry” campaign.
The main objective of the campaign was to secure public support for government proposals, outlined in The Williams Shapps Plan for Rail, which aim to make railways the backbone of a cleaner, more environmentally friendly and modern public transport system across the country.
The team used multiple channels, always with a passenger-centric approach. A key focus was building relationships with influential third parties to motivate them to advocate on behalf of the department.
As a result, the Department for Transport secured support from a range of industry stakeholders, including the Rail Delivery Group, Rail Industry Association, and Transport Focus. According to Savanta, a pollster, 55% of the public heard about the proposals and 60% of those thought that they were positive.
The GCS judges said:
“This campaign stood out due to its impressive use of multiple marketing communications strands, tailored to specific audience groups to successfully achieve awareness and positive sentiment around the new proposals over a sustained period of time.”
“We acknowledge the wealth of PR and media coverage gained on this campaign and the use of events and social media content, not only to engage but also to secure the support of various stakeholders and audience groups.”
David Moore-Crouch, Senior Communications Manager at the Department for Transport said:
“This award is really the culmination of three years of hard work and planning from a lot of people across the entire DfT communications team. It shows what an excellent comms team can achieve when it comes together with new and creative ideas to tell a positive story to the public.”
Once again, congratulations to the DfT communication team:
- David Moore-Crouch, Senior Communications Manager, Rail Team, DfT
- Chris Duffy, Head of Rail Communications, Rail Team, DfT
- Geraint Ellis, Chief Press Officer, Rail Team, DfT
- Dave Shaw, Senior Press Officer, Rail Team, DfT
- Freya Smith, Press Officer, Rail Team, DfT
- Dominic Rosso, Press Officer, Rail Team, DfT
- Stephen Donnelly, External Affairs Manager, DfT
- Melissa Evans, Senior Digital Communications Manager, DfT
- Dan Dennison, Videographer, DfT
- Sam Casserly, Senior Digital Communications Manager, DfT
- Image credit:
- Cover image by Shutterstock/MiniStocker (1)