GCS Campaign of the Month Winner October 2021
Congratulations to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs’ (Defra) Internal Communications team for winning the GCS Campaign of the Month award.
Their winning campaign aimed to promote the Civil Service Pension Portal across Defra and its Arms Length Bodies (ALBs). As Civil Service Pensions (CSP) will no longer be sending out Annual Benefit Statements (ABS) by post, it is important that Civil Servants are aware of how to access them via the portal.
After being approached by the Pensions Team for advice on how to increase portal usage, the Defra Internal Communications team engaged with employees in a light-hearted way on an important subject. They set a target of a 70% increase in employees signed up to the portal between February 2021 and March 2022, as well as a general increase in employees’ knowledge of the pension portal.
The campaign was implemented across various channels, including a monthly intranet article – one of which received 2,983 views out of 5000 Defra employees. The majority of organisations exceeded their target of a 70% increase in portal registrations by September – 7 months earlier than targeted.
Our volunteer GCS Judges commented:
“This was a creative and innovative campaign that clearly met its objectives, exceeded its targets and created a fantastic way to encourage staff across Defra and its ALBs to engage in the Civil Service Pension Portal.”
Congratulations to the Defra Internal Communications team:
- Sadie Middel, Internal Communications and Engagement Manager, Defra
- Dan Hudson, Deputy Head of Internal Communications, Defra
- Tiegan Bingham-Roberts, GCS Diversity Intern, Defra
- Lisa Fasciglione, Internal Communications Manager (was Internal Communications Officer at the time), Environment Agency
- Nicola Freeborn, Internal Communications and Engagement Manager (was Internal Communications Officer at the time), Defra
- Amanda Reaney, Internal Communications Manager, Natural England
- Heather Lewis-Jones, Internal Communications Manager, Animal and Plant Health Agency
- Anna Sewell, Internal Communications Manager, Rural Payments Agency
- Image credit: