Governance and leadership
The Government Communication Service (GCS) is led by Simon Baugh, Chief Executive of Government Communication in the Cabinet Office.
On this page:
Simon works with Directors of Communication across the UK government to:
- oversee funding of communications and marketing activities
- lead recruitment panels
- raise the professional standards of our work
- GCS launches its 3-year Strategy
- Simon Baugh: day one as the first Chief Executive for GCS
- Making time, not having time
- My tips for resilience with Simon Baugh (GCS members access)
Read about them in our blog: New Deputy CEO and Chief Operating Officer for Government Communication.
Governance decisions are made through the GCS board and Directors of Communications group, which meet monthly in Whitehall.
At least every quarter, Directors of Communication report to the Head of Profession on the progress on campaigns in the annual Government Communications Plan. Performance is also reported against:
- marketing budgets and expenditure; GCS diversity strategy
- talent management
- recruitment including staff numbers and roles in the department and their executive agencies
- the GCS annual profession-wide staff skills survey