Governance and leadership
The Government Communication Service (GCS) is led by Simon Baugh, Chief Executive of Government Communication in the Cabinet Office.
He works with Directors of Communication across the UK government to:
- oversee funding of communications and marketing activity
- lead recruitment panels
- raise professional standards of our work
Governance decisions are made through the GCS board and Directors of Communications group, which meet monthly in Whitehall.
At least every quarter, Directors of Communication report to the Head of Profession on progress on campaigns in the annual Government Communications Plan. Performance is also reported against:
- marketing budgets and expenditure; GCS diversity strategy
- talent management
- recruitment including staff numbers and roles in the department and its executive agencies
- the GCS annual profession-wide staff skills survey
GCS 2020 is the improvement programme to ensure our profession delivers future best practice.
Find out about the leadership project we’re working on.