The secondments opportunities are open to civil servants. You need to direct any questions to the department advertising the post.
A secondment is the temporary transfer to work in a different team within your department or in a different organisation. It can help you develop their skills, broaden their horizons and improve their CV.
On this page
GCS secondment and temporary opportunities in the UK
You must ensure that you have followed your departmental HR process and Civil Service Resourcing procedures before submitting a vacancy to us.
Submit a vacancy
To advertise a short term secondment via GCS, complete the following form:
Secondment form (Word, 1 page, 37KB)
Send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Marketing Manager, Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, (9 months)
- Grade: Senior Information Officer (Senior Executive Officer equivalent)
- Location: 1 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0ET (currently working from home)
- Salary range: £39,075 – £43,800
- Closing date: 12 July
- Available on promotion? Yes
BEIS are looking for a Senior Campaigns manager who can hit the ground running as part of a high-performing team, in an exciting, fast-paced environment. The team’s priorities are currently Coronavirus and Transition communications but works to reach a wide range of audiences through campaigns supporting BEIS policy areas; leading the world in tackling climate change, solving the Grand Challenges facing our society and making the UK the best place in the world to work, and grow a business.
- Commission and co-ordinate campaign activity from both within and outside the Communications Directorate, to develop, deliver and evaluate insight led creative campaigns that help change attitudes and encourage audiences to take action. This includes working closely with the Cabinet Office hub to deliver paid for activity for businesses and workers.
- Manage external agency contracts to deliver innovative and impactful campaigns that are grounded in audience insight.
- Work with media planning, buying and creative agencies to craft creative and targeted marketing campaigns.
- Work with BEIS finance teams to manage campaign finances.
- Evaluate the performance of marketing campaigns and report this performance to key stakeholders including the CO Hub and Ministerial Teams.
- Line management of x2 marketing managers, provide strong leadership to support your team to deliver high quality campaigns.
Suitable applicants for this role should have experience of running Government Marketing campaigns and demonstrate the following skills:
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Be adept at delivering projects to deadlines and within budget.
- Have experience of delivering paid for communications and agency management.
- Be adept at using social media and working with partners to support the delivery of campaigns.
- Line management experience
How to apply
Submit your CV and 500 words on why you would like to be considered for this secondment and how you demonstrate the qualities and skills required to Julie McIvor (email@example.com) by the 12th July. If you want to discuss the role beforehand, please contact Julie McIvor via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (02072154936)
Marketing Campaigns Manager, Department for International Trade (12 months)
- Grade: Information Officer (IO) or equivalent
- Location: Windsor House, Victoria Street, SW1H 0TL (currently working from home)
- Salary range: £31,180-£34,860
- Closing date: 6 July
- Available on promotion? Yes, for current Department for International Trade staff.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is looking to recruit a Marketing Campaign Manager for a 12-month secondment. We are looking for an experienced marketing professional with a positive attitude who is willing to get stuck into a wide range of projects.
DIT is an international economic department securing UK and global prosperity by promoting and financing international trade and investment and championing free trade. We are responsible for: bringing together policy, promotion and financial expertise to break down barriers to trade and investment, and help businesses succeed; delivering a new trade policy framework for the UK as we leave the EU; promoting British trade and investment across the world; and building the global appetite for British goods and services.
As a Marketing Campaign Manager, you will work our flagship international campaign ‘Ready to Trade’. You will support the design, development, implementation and measurement of innovative and creative marketing campaigns that have measurable impact.
As part of the international marketing team, you will proactively support and deliver marketing campaigns. From identifying audiences and relevant channel planning, researching propositions, creating content and being central to the creative development and delivery of high-profile media opportunities.
- Support the campaign team with a range of marketing activities which could include, the development of the 21/22 international plan working closely with creative and media agencies
- Identify creative solutions that attract attention, promote a clear call to action and generate leads
- Engage across international network teams to find innovative solutions to delivery while ensuring value for money
- Create compelling content and material to support Ready to Trade (RTT) campaigns
- Support campaign research by monitoring KIP and evaluation data to help form insights that can help inform strategy and improve campaign performance
- Support campaign activity around international events.
The successful candidate will be an experienced marketer or communicator with a proven track record of successfully delivering multi-channel campaigns. They will have:
- An understanding of how marketing campaigns can drive behaviour change and experience across a broad range of communication disciplines
- Excellent communication skills and experience of managing internal and external stakeholders
- The ability to commission and analyse research, identify relevant insight that can support campaign objectives, mapping this insight to channels and audiences
- Strong written communication and the ability to create compelling content
- Experience of working to tight deadlines and managing uncertainty and competing priorities to achieve objectives
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Experience of paid-for campaigns would be advantageous
- Experience of international marketing would also be advantageous.
How to apply
Submit your CV and 500 words on why you would like to be considered for this secondment and how you demonstrate the qualities and skills required to Ruth Selvadurai (email@example.com) by 30 June.
For more information on the role, contact Ruth Selvadurai via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (07741171819).
Please note that due to Covid-19, we are not offering any international secondments during this period. However, we do still encourage you to register interest for future availability.
The GCS Knowledge & Capability Unit in collaboration with FCO brings together the best of GCS expertise to provide governments and public institutions around the world with the tools and training they need to develop effective and efficient communications.
We offer professional development opportunities to seconded GCS staff supporting international governments in country. A secondment to the Unit will offer you the chance to apply and develop your skills on demanding and worthwhile projects in support of HMG’s objectives overseas.