The award-winning Government Communication Service (GCS) Apprenticeship offers a brilliant opportunity to learn while you earn, and develop the skills you need to begin your career in communications.
Apply to be an apprentice this year
Learn more about the 2021 apprenticeship programme.
- London placement
- Sheffield placement
- Manchester placement
- Nottingham placement
- Newcastle placement
- Exeter placement
The application deadline is 13 May 2021.
Apprenticeship Open Evening
Join our session on Thursday 6 May at 5:30 pm to get more information about the GCS apprenticeship scheme, register via Eventbrite.
About the 18-month programme
A GCS apprenticeship will develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours needed to begin an exciting career in communications. Our 18-month apprenticeship combines work in one or more teams across government communications with academic study. You will be working towards a level 4 PR and Communications apprenticeship.
Our employees should reflect the people we’re communicating with and we welcome your application irrespective of social background, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender or disability. We are looking to recruit from the widest pool of candidates with a diversity of views and experiences so that the GCS can be truly representative of the society it serves.
During your apprenticeship, you will be placed in a government department or public body. You will gain valuable work experience in various communications specialisms including:
- external affairs
- internal communications
- strategic communications
You will contribute to exciting new ideas and real issues that affect real people. You could find yourself:
- organising key events and visits;
- using digital and social media to interest and engage people;
- working on government campaigns to encourage community participation; or
- researching and analysing the needs of a variety of audiences.
Key information on the Apprenticeship
- Duration: 18 months
- Apprenticeship: Level 4 PR and Communications
- Salary: You could earn around 16,880 – £23,420 (depending on location and department allocation)
- Location: London, with some regional placements available
- Remote working will be supported and reviewed based on government guidelines
- Recruitment process: Application form, telephone interview and a final assessment via virtual interview
We need people who are:
- Interested in news stories and current affairs;
- Passionate about making a difference;
- Excellent communicators;
- Outstanding team players
- Organised, creative and intuitive;
- Determined to learn and focus on personal and professional development; and
- Flexible, working under-pressure to deadlines.
Eligibility: who can apply
The apprenticeship is aimed at all levels, ages and academic backgrounds.
To apply, you must have:
- 5 GCSE at grades 4-9 (A*-C) or equivalent including English, with a minimum GCSE Maths grade 3.
- the equivalent of 2 A levels achieved by September 2021
- candidates who do not have a degree in a communications-related topic can also apply
- meet the nationality requirement and the right to work in the UK requirement: Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non-EEA nationals
- you must be a British citizen to work in some placements, and additional clearance checks may be required depending on your placement. Please note your placement and start date is dependent upon the completion of security clearance
Candidates who do not have a degree in a communications-related topic can also apply.
For any queries about the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.