About the curriculum
The GCS curriculum is designed to make it easier for you to access learning and development resources to plan and prioritise your personal development. As a profession, it will help us achieve consistently higher standards.
On this page:
What is in the curriculum
The GCS Curriculum is a collection of guidance, content and recommended reading.
Learning is divided into 3 levels – practitioner, advanced and expert – to help you plan the order of your learning. Some resources are categorised by discipline (for example Strategic Communications, Marketing) to help you select learning that is relevant to your current or future role.
The curriculum will be regularly updated with new learning resources so revisit these pages every time you review and update your Personal Development Plan (PDP).
The content of the curriculum is organised by grade:
- Executive Officer (EO) curriculum
- Higher Executive Officer (HEO) curriculum
- Senior Executive Officer (SEO) curriculum
- Grades 7 and 6 curriculum
Planning and recording your learning
Download the Personal Development Plan template:
Plan your personal development (PDP download) (Word, 1 page, 35KB)
Use it to plan your learning and development for the year with your manager. You are expected to reach a minimum of 30 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points per year. Most of your CPD points should come from ‘on the job’ learning – roughly 70%. 20% should come from learning from relationships (like mentoring) and the final 10% through formal training and resources.
What you need to do next
- Familiarise yourself with the curriculum content for your grade
- Reflect on gaps in your knowledge and skills and how you plan to gain that experience
- Download the PDP template and start to plan out your learning and development ahead of meeting with your line manager