Strategic communication sets, coordinates and guides the implementation of communication activity.
On this page:
Strategic communication in government
Strategic communication puts audience understanding at the heart of policy and service design, resulting in better decision-making and improved delivery.
Our standards: strategic communications
The strategic communications function guide identifies the core functions of a strategic communication team and key principles of structure and practice.
Our standards: evaluation and insight
Evaluation and insight are 2 of the functions of strategic communication.
Evaluation allows us to assess campaign performance in delivering objectives. As the GCS, it’s vital that we demonstrate the impact of what we do and ensure that our work is as effective as possible.
Insight is information and data that drive thinking and guides actions. Our aim is to make government communication as effective as possible.
Using performance analysis and data science in government is key to improving government efficiency. Government data is a critical resource that government communicators need to use to measure the success of their work and activities.
Data science community
If you work in the public sector and are a data scientist, or have an interest in data science, join the data science community.
Guidance and publications
The National Data Strategy (NDS) is an ambitious, pro-growth strategy that drives the UK in building a world-leading data economy while ensuring public trust in data use.
Transforming for a Digital Future is the new strategy setting out the 2022 to 2025 roadmap for digital and data. This is to work towards digital transformation at scale and deliver efficiencies of over £1.1 billion by 2025.
Learning and resources
Digital, Data and Technology essentials for senior civil servants (SCS)
The ambition is to “have the best people leading and working in government to deliver better outcomes for citizens”. These Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) Essentials identify how senior civil servants can meet the demands of this modernisation plan.
- Data science training: data science courses available in the public sector includes the programmes of the Data Science Campus
- Civil Service Learning training:
Government Analysis Function (AF) Learning Curriculum
Analysis Function colleagues who have a specific training need, and who are able to commit the time to complete training, apply for an account. Visit the Government Statistical Service (GSS) Website for information about the courses available.
- Automatically produce best-practice spreadsheets (blog)
- Data in Government Blog
- The Central Digital and Data Office (CDDO) blog. CDDO leads the digital, data and technology (DDaT) function for government.
- Market Research Society (MRS) community of research, insight, analytics and marketing sciences professionals
- The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is an independent producer of official statistics and its recognised national statistical institute.
- The Government Statistical Service (GSS) is a community for all civil servants working in the collection, production and communication of official statistics.
- Find open data: Find data published by the central government, local authorities and public bodies to help you build products and services.